Sunday, June 5, 2011

Substitute Damson

Hello! You may have noticed that although there are four of us here, there's only three people mentioned in the yarn selection post - that's because I've already knit a Damson shawl and although I love love LOVE it, I don't need a second one right now. See, here's the proof!

I knit it out of Malabrigo Yarn Sock in color 851 Turner. I chose to modify it by knitting the body of the shawl in stockinette instead of garter stitch because the yarn had so much color variation that I felt it looked better as a smoother fabric. It probably turned out to be a good idea because as Jess mentioned about yardage, I might have run out of yarn! It's a fabulous shawl that's fun to wear because of the more curved shape and I can't wait to see how the other girls' shawls turn out :)


In the meanwhile, I'm going to knit Hรถmin Shawl by Gudrun Johnston - It feels a little like cheating, but I got the go ahead for the following (very meaningful) reasons: both designers are from Scotland, Ysolda Teague is a model for the pattern, and the shawl is absolutely beautiful! I'm knitting it out of Madeleinetosh Prairie in the colorway Well Water, which is single-ply, 100% superwash merino in a lace weight (as opposed to the fingering weight of the Merino Light described below). I love knitting shawls and this one has completely different construction than any I've knit before! You start by making the pointed edging (knit lengthwise) then you pick up and knit the body of the shawl. Here it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment