Saturday, July 16, 2011

Holy Crazy Cast On, Batman!

Kendra here, and I too am working my way through Smith and his mushroom buddies. Last week I was doing laundry (which here in Brooklyn means a jaunt to the laundromat and happy hour beers during cycles) and was looking to start my yet-to-be-named hedgehog. All I can say is thank goodness for smart phones, because here I was thinking I'll just cast on this cute toy while I'm out doing laundry, but think again! The beginning of the pattern starts with a website for the cast on method to start this project, a "casting on the from the middle disappearing loop method" situation. Huh? Exactly my reaction. Enter smart phone to check out that useful website to see what the heck was going on.

I knit a lot, and although I have my go-to long-tail cast on I do know that other methods exist, but this was a complete mind trip. I still can't believe it worked successfully because the whole time I was afraid to move my left hand for fear of messing up the yarn position. Even when the stitches were on the needle they didn't look like stitches until a few rounds later when I closed the loop and voila! No hole! Pure craziness. Very similar in idea to the crochet magic loop starting technique, but much more insane.

Thank you Ysolda, for rocking my knitting world yet again. I love learning new things that I would have never known existed otherwise! Check it out for yourself and get a hedgehog buddy of your own going!

PS: My hedgehog will also be out of random stash yarn, some Lion Brand Superwash Merino Cashmere in Parchment for the body, and Cascade Quattro in color 9539 for the spikes.

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed you figured it out! I cannot for the life of me get cast on. In the meantime I've knit a few spikes.

    ReplyDelete